SCHUSSMEN TO RACE SUNDAY

Over 40 Amateurs, Experts To Meet on Sherburne Trail

Open to all University undergraduates with or without experience on skis, the annual Harvard ski race will draw over 40 men to the Sherburne Trail in Pinkham Notch next Sunday morning. Contestants will run the lower part of the Trail, dropping 1,100 feet in a little over a mile, in this informal race which has become a regular event on the Club's program.

To give less able skiers a chance in the contest, members of the ski team specializing in downhill racing will be excluded from competition. Favored to finish among the leaders this year, along with David Goldthwaite and John Abbot, is Tom Winship, who took first place in last year's event with the time of 2:30. It is possible that Winship may be kept out of the running this season because, although his event is usually the jump, he has done some downhill racing for the team.

Proficiency, Tests

On Saturday afternoon, the Third Class Proficiency Tests, one of the pre-requisites to receiving a "C" rating in the U. S. Eastern Amateur Ski Association, will be given by Bungie King and Tom Winship on the Pinkham Notch Practice Slope. To pass this test the skier must make four continuous stem turns, a right and a left stop Christie, and either two jump turns or two telemarks. In addition he must negotiate a prescribed slalom course in reasonable time.

A candidate is allowed three trials at each of the three turns, but must complete the slalom course successfully at the first attempt. If he passes the proficiency test and gets a fair clocking in the race on Sherburne Trail, he will be eligible for the "C" rating. This entitles him to enter sanctioned national downhill races.

Members of the Ski Club and the ski team encourage as many as possible to sign the entry book for the Sunday race, which has been placed in Leavitt and Peirce. The contest will be run entirely for fun and not in a spirit of bitter competition.