University Handicap Heralds Spring Track

Mikkola Squad Adds Power But Loses Best Half-Milers

Only the members of the track team, with a few exceptions, are entered in the annual University handicap meet, which opens with the field events today.

The main purpose that the informal affair will serve is to enable Coach Jaakko Mikkola to get a line on his squad, which he characterizes as "balanced," and one to be "hopeful" about.

Many men have joined the squad since the compulsory training program went into effect, several of them former stars, such as Ted Graves, ex-Freshman runner.

Burditt Out

Newest addition to the squad is "Bunks" Burditt, basketball star and 1942-43 captain. He is doubtful in what event he should compete and is considering everything from the 100 yards to the two mile. The events begin today at 1:30 o'clock with the hammer throw, and open tomorrow with the high hurdles at 2 o'clock.

Several men on whom Jaakko had counted heavily for the spring season have given up track. Among them are Rollo Campbell and Bill Young, the two best half-milers in the College. Campbell is taking an extra course in Chemistry so he can get into Medical School.