Corsages in Wartime

Lately there has been a very strong movement to ban corsages from the Spring dances. As yet, no definite agreement has been arrived at, though many feel that a determined policy against pin-ons should be agreed to before the dances begin, thus ensuring that no one will arrive with one, and ergo no one's feelings will be hurt. Moreover, they feel this is a good way to cut expenses, especially luxuries in time of war.

But on the other hand, if such an overall rule were sanctioned Harvard Square florists would suffer a major blow, since they depend upon college trade more than any other block of customers. For many of the flower shops, Harvard business makes the difference between profit and loss. It seems only fair that no blanket ban should be imposed against their goods, for it is really up to an individual to decide whether he can buy or not. And as far as a luxury goes, it is no more than a few movies. The idea of buying defense stamps as an alternative is fine, though it probably wouldn't produce much for the Government. To solve the present dilemma, some agreement to continue buying corsages, perhaps at reduced prices, should be worked out.