New Freshmen to Learn Rooms in Houses by June 15

Capacity to be Increased By Doubling Up Next Year

Freshmen room assignments for the Summer Term, beginning in June, will be made about June 15, an official statement to incoming Freshmen from Dean Leighton has announced, and all Freshmen will be required to live in the seven Houses so far as room allows, as was previously decided by a vote of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences.

Where suites are known to be available to incoming students for all three terms of the academic year 1942-43, contracts will be signed in June, but in many of the cases the assignments will be on a temporary basis. However, students who are admitted to a House in this manner vacancies in that House as they occur.

Yard May Be Used In Part

In the event that there is not sufficient room for the Freshmen in the Houses, they will be allowed to occupy such dormitories in the yard as are needed, and meals will probably be served to them in the Union. The statement emphasized that incoming students should not hesitate to apply for doubles, triples, and quadruples even if they do not know any incoming men, for roommates will be assigned after due consideration by a Central Committee in charge of assignments.

By a process of doubling up on rooms in the Houses, officials estimate that the capacity of the Houses will be raised 30% in order to take care of the estimated 2,000 Freshman applications for the Summer and Fall Terms. Students currently living in "rat houses" will be allowed to remain there, but from now on all incoming men must enter Houses.

Rooms Opens June 23

The average price for single House suites will be $274 for doubles $230, for triples $207, and for quadruples $192. Rooms will be assigned by lot in each category into which the applications are divided according to price and type of room desired. Rooms for summer term will be open for occupancy on June 23 and registration for new Freshmen will take place on June 25.