ACTOR TELLS ROLE OF CINEMA IN WAR

Douglas, Kanin, Ford Speak In Film Society's Forum

"We must do with words and pictures and symbols what as done in England with German bombs in order to stimulate American morale to a war pitch," Melvyn Douglas, noted actor, stated last night in a forum of prominent motion picture figures held in New Lecture Hall.

Accompanying Mr. Douglas in a talk on the problems of war facing people in the arts were film director Garson Kanin and Richard Ford, director of the British Library of Information.

Continuing in his discussion of the motion picture industry's part in the war effort, Douglas asserted that even with bombings and incidents such as Dunkrik to jolt it out of its lethargy, it took the English two and a half years to obtain real concerted action. Because the war is still so far away in the minds of many Americans, he continued, the spirit necessary to obtain all-out civilion effort will probably require an even longer period to attain in this country.

That motion pictures can have tremendous influence in arousing war interest in the United States, was stressed by Kanin.