Eliot House Crew Meets Yale's Trumbull College Eight in New Haven Harbor Today

Merrymen May Have to Dodge Tugs and Steamers

Eliot House's championship eight meets its counterpart, Trumbull College of Yale, at New Haven today as the Crimson representatives seek to prolong the victory streak over the Elis which they started back in 1940.

Today's race will also serve as an opportunity for revenge on the part of the Bulls. Racing over a mile course on the Charles last year, Eliot jumped Trumbull by a length at the end of the start, but then watched the Elis eat into that lead all the way down the course, until at the finish it was a very narrow margin which separated the two boats.

Nautical Mile Course

Following the race the Trumbull manager claimed that his charges, who are used to contesting the right of way with tramp steamers in New Haven harbor, had thought that they were racing a nautical mile, which is several hundred yards longer than the usual landlubber's measure.

Therefore it is questionable what sort of obstacle race the Merrymen will be confronted with if they take the water in New Haven Harbor. There is some possibility, however, that the race will occur at Derby, which is much better suited for racing, since steamers and tugs haven't penetrated that far yet.

The Crimson boat lines up with Gene Wulsin stroke, Herb Church, 7; Hugh Manning, 6; Captain John Carpenter, 5; Chub Peabody, 4; Soup Campbell, 3; Joe Grant, 2; Charlie Putnam, bow; and Johnny Strauss, cox.

Coach Chief Comstalk, four years on the Combies, has been coaching this powerful aggregation, which came down practically as a unit from the Bolles fourth Varsity. Wulsin, Church, Manning, and Campbell were all on the last boat which Bolles cut from his squad.