Plans for Summer School

Information and News

The Information Desk, at which among other things a list of available rooms and apartments in private homes may be secured, will be open in Memorial Hall, from 9 to 4 o'clock on June 26, from 9 to 1 o'clock on June 27, and from 9 to 4 o'clock on June 29 and 30. On and after July 1, the Information Desk will be open from 9 to 4 o'clock in Wadsworth 2 (Saturdays, 9-12 o'clock).

Summer School Convocation

All students and members of the Faculty in residence during the summer, including Harvard and Radcliffe undergraduates, students in the several graduate schools, and those enrolled only for the first session of the Summer Term, are invited to attend the opening Convocation in Sanders Theatre on Tuesday evening, July 30, at 8 o'clock. The principal speaker will be President James Bryant Conant. Those not accommodated in Sanders Theatre may listen to the proceedings in the New Lecture Hall by means of the public address system.

Social Gatherings

All members of the Harvard community are cordially invited to attend an outdoor tea in the east quadrangle of Harvard Yard at 4 o'clock on Wednesday, July 1. Arrangements will be made to bring together the students from the several states and foreign countries in specified portions of the grounds.

The annual Reception and Dance, to which all students and Faculty in residence during the Summer Term are invited, will be held in Memorial Hall, beginning at 8:30 o'clock on Friday, July 3.

The Summer School Social Union will sponsor dances in Memorial Hall on Friday evening, July 10; Saturday evening, July 18; Friday evening, July 24; and Saturday evening, August 1. Admission is $.50, plus tax, for Faculty and students in any department of the University and for the personnel of the armed forces quartered in Harvard buildings; for others, it is $.75, plus tax.

Also under the auspices of the Summer School Social Union and with the same admission charges, there will be country dancing directed by Mr. Albert Haynes, master of old-fashioned dances, on Saturday evening, July 11; Friday evening, July 17; Saturday evening, July 25; and Friday evening, July 31, in Memorial Hall.

Athletic Facilities

The extensive facilities of the Harvard athletic department are available to all men students of the Summer School. These include the gymnasiums, swimming pools, squash courts and exercise rooms in the Indoor Athletic Building on Holyoke Street as well as the tennis courts at Soldiers Field and Jarvis Field. Any male student may purchase a participation ticket for the 12-week term for $8.00, entitling him to the use of these facilities, including locker and towel privileges and the use of the pool for mixed swimming on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings. A student who attends only the first session will have $4.00 refunded to him at the close of the session; the charge for the second session only will be $4.00. Tickets should be purchased at the Harvard Athletic Association (corner of Quincy and Harvard Streets) during the registration period.

Because of the program of physical training now in effect for all students in Harvard College, the Weld Boat House cannot be opened to women this summer, and the swimming pools will not be available for them during the day. The large pool in the Indoor Athletic Building will, however, be open for mixed swimming on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings from 7 to 9:30 o'clock. The fee for use of the pool by women is $3.00 for each session (tickets to be purchased at the Harvard Athletic Association office) or 35 cents for a single admission (payable at the pool). Towels and bathing suits will be provided, but women may bring their own suits if they wish.

Women may use the Jarvis Field Tennis Courts on payment of $3.00 for each six-week session (tickets to be purchased at the Harvard Athletic Association office), or 25 cents per hour. Payment for the hourly rate should be made at the Courts.

It is possible that a limited number of singles, comps and wherries can be put at the disposal of women students by the Cambridge Boat Club. The charge for temporary membership for the period from July 5 to September 20 is $10 per person, or $15 for husband and wife, and for any four-week period between the dates indicated, $6.00 per person. Anyone interested should send her name to the Summer School Office, indicating her academic status, ability in rowing, and any other data which will help the Club Committee to pass upon the applicant's qualifications. One of the requirements is that the applicant must pass a swimming test prescribed by the Club.

The Harvard Outing Club is arranging a number of outings in which all students may participate whether members of the club or not. These will include an outing in the Blue Hills on Saturday, July 4, a bicycle trip to Concord and Lexington on Sunday, July 5, a day and evening either at Provincetown or Nantasket on Saturday, July 25, and a beach party at Duxbury on Saturday, August 1.

Summer School Chorus

Choral music will be under the direction of Mr. G. Wallace Woodworth, Conductor of the Harvard Glee Club and Radcliffe Choral Society and the University Organist-Choirmaster. The Summer School Chorus will be open to all members of the Summer School and will meet for rehearsals on Monday and Thursday evenings from 7:30 to 8:30 o'clock in Sever 11.

It is expected that the Chorus will include many of the present members of the Harvard Glee Club and the Radcliffe Choral Society as well as members of the choruses in other colleges who are enrolled here during the Summer Term. All students interested in singing are eligible whether or not they have had previous training. Registration will take place in Sever 11 on Monday, June 29, from 3 to 6 o'clock, and after the first rehearsal of the Chorus that evening at 7:30 o'clock.

The Chorus will sing with the Concert Orchestra in Symphony Hall at the Harvard Summer School Night at the Pops, Thursday, July 16, and there will be a concert with the Summer School Orchestra in Sanders Theatre on Tuesday evening, August 4.

A Choir composed of Summer School students will sing at the Sunday services and at morning prayers in the Memorial Church. Members of the Choir receive a small compensation for their services. Those interested should apply to Mr. Woodworth in Sever 11 on Monday, June 29, between 3 and 6 o'clock.

Summer School Orchestra

Instrumental music during the summer will be under the direction of Mr. Malcolm H. Holmes, Conductor of the Harvard University Orchestra. The Orchestra will present an informal program of music by Bach, Handel, and Vivaldi on Thursday evening, July 23, and will join with the Summer School Chorus in the joint concert on Tuesday evening, August 4.

Membership in the Orchestra is open to all students and members of the Faculty. Applicants for admission should register at the Music Building on Monday, June 29, between 3 and 6 or between 7 and 8:30 o'clock. All those not already members of the Harvard, Radcliffe, or Wellesley College Orchestra are requested to bring their instruments to the registration. A number of string and wind instruments will also be available without charge to students not owning their own. Planists will be given an opportunity to play in the clavier concerti of Bach or the continue parts of various eighteenth-century composers.

Members of the Orchestra will assemble for an informal sight-reading evening on Wednesday, July 1, at Sanders Theatre, at 7:30 o'clock. The first rehearsal will occur on Thursday, July 2, at Paine Hall at 7:30 o'clock, and thereafter the Orchestra will rehearse regularly on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 7:30 to 8:30 o'clock.

Religious Services

The program of religious services during the summer sessions is being arranged by Dr. Willard L. Sperry, Dean of the Harvard Divinity School. There will be a worship service in the Memorial Church each Sunday morning at 11 o'clock beginning June 28, and morning prayers will be held in Appleton Chapel each class day throughout the term at 8:40 o'clock. Prominent ministers of various denominations will preach at the Sunday morning services, and the weekday morning prayers will be conducted largely by members of the Harvard Faculty.