AUDITING AID PLAN OFFERED

Following Student Council and general undergraduate protest of the extra auditing fee, Dean Hanford yesterday announced that Seniors who wish to audit and "find it difficult to pay the auditor's fee" may apply for a grant of Beneficiary Aid at the Dean's Office.

The Dean's action came after the Student Council has passed a resolution against the fee and issued a report which branded it as "working a great injustice on the Harvard undergraduates."

Fees Usual in Summer

Usual practice for summer school courses, auditing fees have been required in the past since tuition in summer is governed only by the number of courses taken. With lowered revenue and difficulties of operation, the Summer School felt justified this year in extending the fee to all undergraduates brought to Cambridge by the accelerated program.

According to Dean Hanford's announcement, the new aid is primarily for Seniors who "regard it as important to audit courses." Students other than Seniors who wish to apply may do so, and their requests will be considered in certain exceptional cases.