Winthrop House Janitor Assaulted By Local Bruisers

Attempt to Shield Students Results in Pitched Battle

In another town-gown Saturday night, James Shine, a Yard Cop, was attacked and beaten by a gang near Winthrop House. Several students, according to the police report, were walking along Memorial Drive, by the river in front of the Houses, when the gang came down upon them.

They ran for shelter in Winthrop House, and the group clubbed Shine, who was apparently trying to "break it up." He was treated at the Cambridge City Hospital for bruises of the back and arm. One of the students declared to police that he can identify members of the gang.

Last night as rumors of other attacks spread through the College groups of students went out searching the streets for "townies," presumably armed, and a violent meeting was held in the Winthrop House Common Room on the subject.

During the week, these collections of self-appointed "vigilantes" made several forays, but as yet no trouble has been reported. One of the groups came into contact with a number of Cambridge residents Saturday night, but nothing more violent than name-calling and taunting had developed by the time members of the Cambridge police force dispersed the crowds.

Several incidents were rumored last week but only one got onto the police blotter. The trouble has been appearing off and on for years, but it has not been so widespread until recently.