SORLEIN DROPS GAME TO FRESHMAN IN TENNIS

Other Seeded Men Win Easy Victories

By Melvin J. Kessel

In spite of the bothersome rain of the last few days most of the entries in the University Tennis Tournament have managed to play off their second round matches and only one of the seeded men, Dick Sorlein '44, who played number five on the Varsity against Yale last spring, fell by the wayside.

After taking the first set in convincing fashion 6-1, Sorlein suffered a reverse in form and succumbed to the steady drives of Mal Moley, promising Freshman from California and son of former New Deal braintruster, Raymond Moley.

Everts Wins Easily

Number one seeded player Al Everts came through without much trouble against Jack Irwin, winning 6-0, 6-4. Two other seeded Varsity men, Ted Cohn and Jim Jenkins, also advanced into the third round with case. Cohn defeating Greenspan 6-2, 6-2 and Jenkins taking Elliston 6-1, 6-4. Hugh Hyde, only other Varsity star in the tournament, has not played his second round match yet.

Houston Warren, a Freshman whom Coach Jack Barnaby thinks has good possibilities, scored an impressive victory when he beat Joe Caldwell, number five man on last year's Freshman squad, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3. And Vincent Brandt, whom Barnaby considers the outstanding member of the '46 contingent, defeated Steve Welsh 6-2, 6-4.

Two Milton Men Victors

Two Freshmen from last year's Milton team, Moulton and Bannister, continued on to the third round, Moulton beating Dillon 6-3, 6-1 and Bannister trouncing E. J. Cohn 6-1, 6-0.

Bud Collinson, a player on the '45 team, won by default from Petschek, but John Zinsser, who played number one in most of the '45 matches has not played yet in the second round. Bob Sadove, a Varsity squad member, defeated I. Fried 6-1, 12-10.

Coach Barnaby is very well satisfied with the showing of the Freshmen, five of whom are still in the tournament. He is counting on some of them, especially Brandt, Moley, and Warren, to bolster the Varsity team under the new ruling which allows Freshmen to play on the Varsity.