Guerrillas Gather in Rough Swampy Field to Institute Active Training

Group to Meet Every Day; Gives Full Athletic Credit

Gathering in a swampy, overgrown field east of the Business School, about 75 roughly-dressed students met Monday afternoon between 5 and 6 o'clock for the first active session of the Harvard guerrilla Unit.

As the candidates sat around him in the tall grass, Alan G. Grant, Jr. '45, the leader, explained the set-up and training plan of guerrilla organization. He said that guerrilla units are split up into "task forces" which are of varying size to fit the particular job at hand.

These "task forces" commonly have hidden caches with a large variety of weapon and equipment for destruction. In addition these caches contain food and medical supplies, and "disguises all the way from women's clothes to enemy uniforms."

Must Work "Invisibly"

Grant explained that in an effective program of guerrilla resistance the units must work "invisibly" and have a general control center that will coordinate their action.

"Yank" Levy, noted guerrilla instructor for the British Home Guard and the Massachusetts State Guard, who was instrumental in starting the unit here, before any of the nation's colleges, will continue to give instruction and advice by mail.

At the close of the meeting after the men enrolled had undergone a stiff session of cross country running, blanks were distributed asking the men to indicate experience in any of the many special services which are important in maintaining a guerrilla unit.

Radio experts, lathe workers, machinists, gunsmiths, small arms experts, and people knowing foreign languages are especially desired. Special units will be formed to study the use of languages in guerrilla warfare and radio classes are to be held.