PACIFIST GROUP HOLDS FAST AMID QUICKENING WAR FEVER

14 Members Meet Weekly For Discussion, Fellowship

"The attitude of the University toward us has been characteristically open-minded," assert officials of the Harvard Pacifist Association, which consists of 14 men who believe that war in itself is wrong and whose conscience permits them no part in the war effort. The group meets weekly for comradeship and discussion.

The members, all Quakers or representatives of other churches, are longtime pacifists who had formed convictions before the outbreak of the present conflict that they would have nothing to do with any future war.

Plan to Record Reactions to War

Perceiving their unique position as pacifists in a war-torn world, the men plan to record their reactions and opinions for future reference. Members are to contribute essays, articles, and copies of their filled-out draft forms to build up a collection which will be bound and placed in the Widener archives.

They have also offered themselves as subjects for study to psychologists who have been invited to attend their meetings. Recently a Radcliffe psychology concentrator submitted the men to a formidable array of 100 questions and set about tabulating the results in order to analyze the group.

Conditioning Classes Posed Problem

As expected by the pacifists, many complications have beset them, even while they are at college. When the compulsory athletics program was initiated last spring the Association felt that conditioning classes were primarily for war preparation. Representatives conferred with William J. Bingham '16, director of athletics, who immediately permitted them to substitute other forms of exercise such as rowing and swimming.

For many activities bordering upon the war effort, the only guide that the individual pacifist has in determining his own participation is his conscience. One member of the group, a mathematics instructor, has continued teaching only with qualms that he might be engaged in the war effort.

Some Won't Buy Bonds

Most pacifists have forbidden themselves to buy war bonds and stamps. However, many feel justified in donating blood and have been active in the current Red Cross donor drive. Some even look upon duty with the American Field Service as not conflicting with their beliefs and may join in the near future.