SMALL DEWOLFE ST. BUILDING SERVES AS N. E. FISHERY OFFICE

Temporarily Housed Staff Rules North Atlantic Area

Jammed between Dunster and Leverett Houses in a small wooden building labeled "Bureau of Fisheries and Wild-life, Department of Interior" is a vital hub for all fishing in the North Atlantic area.

The center here, devoted almost exclusively to fishing problems, is the home office for a many field workers who are constantly investigating the state of fisheries and collecting date. A staff of ten men at the DeWolfe Street office is engaged in analyzing biological data and performing experiments in the building's laboratory.

Describing his bureau's job, William C. Herrington, head of the branch here, said, "Our three-fold purpose is to find out the conditions of marine fisheries, to find the cause of any poor conditions we may uncover, and to develop proper remedial management means to increase and maintain good fishing yields."

Forced to move to its present temporary quarters this spring when its old space in the Biological Laboratory was given over to the war training program, the bureau has kept a close though unofficial contact, with the University throughout its 12 years here.

Most of the staff have taken graduate work and Harvard hydrographers co-operate with the bureau from time to time. The main reason for the government service's location near the University is to make possible ready access to the Harvard Fisheries Library, which Herrington rates "best in this part of the country."