680 MORE FRESHMEN REGISTER TODAY

Second Installment of '46 Swells Class Enrollment to Record 1380

Installment number two of the Class of 1946, an estimated 680 students, will wade through the annual maelstrom of a Memorial Hall registration today, upping the total of the largest entering class in Harvard history to approximately 1380.

After a day-long tussle with the manila envelopes, Freshmen will hear the University's war-geared program explained and the customary fatherly advice presented this evening at 7:30 o'clock in the Lowell House dining room. In the absence of President Conant, who is engaged in war work at Washington, Dean Paul H. Buck of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences will welcome Harvard's newest undergraduates.

Other speakers will be Dean Willard L. Sperry, chairman of the Board of Preachers and head of the Divinity School, and Richard M. Gummere, chairman of the Committee on Admission.

The new members of the Freshman Class will find 700 of their fellow classmen who entered in June ensconsed in the Houses, while they are billeted in the Yard and environs. About 50 of the September entrants will live in House rooms, and the remainder will eat in the Houses, to which they have been assigned. They will be moved there as soon as vacancies occur.

'46 Lives in Three Yard Halls

Wigglesworth, Weld, and Grays Halls will house the majority of today's registrants, with Farlow and Walker Houses also serving a number. '46 students who were admitted later then the rest of their classmen have been assigned to Claverly and Dudley Halls.

Commenting on the record-breaking number of Yardlings, Dean Buck stated: "The Class of 1946 is not only greater numerically than any of its predecessors, but contains more potential ability, as indicated by the admission data and the fine record which that part of the Freshman class which registered in June made during the summer term. The members of the class were chosen from 2258 approved final applicants, 665 more candidates than there were a year age.

Placement Tests New

Required placement tests in French, Physics, and Chemistry, are another relative innovation. In the past, there had been no formal placement tests in these fields, although the allocation of Freshmen into various courses after a preliminary examination is not new.

The Standard English reading test, required for all yardlings, takes place tomorrow, as does the gathering of new students in New Lecture Hall. At that meeting, Dean Hanford, Keyes D. Metcalf, director of the University library, and Dean Delmar Leighton, '46's own dean, will be the speakers.

Saddest news contained in the huge envelope presented to every Freshman will be the first term bill, increased from the usual quarter, plus half the infirmary fee.

Upperclassmen and June entering Freshmen troop to the line of tables on Saturday and Monday. Probable Enrollment Department  Enrollment College  3580 Graduate Schools: Arts and Sciences  250 Engineering  40 Divinity  70 Law  190 Medical  525 Dental Medicine  15 Dental  75 Public Health  15 Business Administration  1250 Design  60 Education  250 Public Administration  25 Total  6345