SEVENTEEN '46 GRIDDERS GREET COACH LAMAR

Several Promotions To Varsity Expected

For the first time in recent history. Freshmen are permitted to play with the Varsity squad this season, and the addition of 1946 to the Harlow flock has proved valuable.

On Friday, when the new members of the first-year class signed their way into the college, 17 more potential harry Woods and Ben Ticknors reported to Yardling mentor Henry Lamar.

But not all of them will stay under the tutelage of that Southern Gentleman--some are bound for bigger and better things, and are Varsity timber. At the last accounting, four June Yardlings had been awarded Red Jerseys, the symbol of pigskin excellence, by the coaches, and were officially in the major league.

Flynn Leading Punter

Wally Flynn, a 190-pound 6 foot boy from Arlington made sports writers sit up and take notice with his kicking, and he is now the proud owner of the most talented toe on Soldiers Field. Whenever Harlow needs to get out of a tough spot this season, in will go Wally.

George Boston, who started out as a tailback but has been converted into an end to bolster the flank squad, comes from Dean Academy and makes his home in Swampscott. He was a marked man from the moment he hit Dillon Field House, partly because of his passing ability, and partly because of his running talents.

Gardiner B Center

Second-string center is "Soup" Gardiner, younger brother of big Tom Gardiner, who was A team tackle in 1941. Soup, whose real name is Sylvester, worked himself up from the ranks and finally earned a once-over from Harlow. From then on he was made, and has been right up on top ever since.

Another member of the Clan Flynn who is romping around in togs and a Crimson jersey is Leo, from Everett and Seton Hall School. Though he is small and light, weighing but 155 pounds, dark-haired "L. Flynn" is fast and has a powerful throwing arm which should serve the Harvards to a great advantage.

Comerford Good

Jackie Comerford from Everett got a great build-up when he arrived here because of his sensational forward-passing ability, and during the intra-mural game a week ago he hit his targets time after time with swift bullet-heaves. Though at this writing he was not on the Varsity squad, he is making a strong bid, and may soon end up there.

Pete Fuller, son of former Massachusetts Governor Alvan T. Fuller is making a stiff fight for the B team pivot post, but at present ranks behind Gardiner. Charlie Tarbell from Belmont Hill is a good fullback, but has Saturday competition to buck in Paul Perkins, Gershon Ross, Tom Cowen, and Wayne Johnson. From Wakefield High comes their co-captain Paul Lazzaro. He too, like Lee Flynn, is small, but speedy, and Harlow is looking for speed in this year's backfield, so he may yet crack the red jersey group.