Advanced Mil Sci Men See Active Duty Here

Army Will Supply Clothes, Food, Shelter And Discipline; Cadets Graduate in June

"This is the Army, Mil Sci four. . . . You had a housemaid to clean your floor, but she won't help you out any more." This is the tune that the Military Science Department called for its present class of about 100 advanced course cadets in a release last night which revealed a War Department order that will make buck privates of the present cadet officers upon the initiation of the Army Specialized Training Program, presumably in February.

The War Department announcement states that all advanced ROTC students in Harvard College, upon this call to active duty, will continue in college until graduation, maintaining their regular academic programs in quest of degrees. After graduation they will be sent to the Field Artillery School for a basic course of instruction of three months duration. At the conclusion of this course they will be commissioned in the Officers Reserve Corps.

Until graduation, however, the men will lead an Army-disciplined life. Although no definite plans have been made, the men will presumably be barracked in one of the Houses or dormitories. Aldrich Durant, University Business Manager, has said that the University is prepared to meet any demands in this direction.

It is definite, however, that when these advanced course students are called to active duty, as enlisted reservists or voluntary inductees, their expenses for food, clothing, and shelter will be borne by the government and they will be given the pay of enlisted men of the Army.

The announcement stated that those advanced course students who are members of the Enlisted Reserve Corps will be automatically called to active duty; those who are not in the ERC are expected to be voluntarily inducted into the Army in accordance with special arrangements to be made with the War Department.