MIT Beats Crew by Length To End Three Year Streak

150's and Freshmen Win; JV's Lose on Charles Basin

Handicapped by rough water and a strong wind, four Crimson eights divided honors with M. I. T. Saturday afternoon in the informal race over the mile and five-sixteenths Henley distance in the Charles Basin.

The Freshmen and 150's both crossed the finish line first in their races, but the Varsity and J. V.'s were unable to hold a strong Tech powerhouse, virtually untouched by the draft.

A close race all the way to the finish, the Varsity stroked by Schultz Wood, lost to the Tech boat by a length in the first Harvard Varsity defeat in three years. Eight strokes from the finish, the Varsity was only a deck length behind when Wood fouled his oar in through water causing the Haines oarsmen to lose almost a length before they could get started again.

150's Defeat Two Boats

Easiest won of Saturday's races was the 150's defeat of two Tech 150 crows which both slightly outweighed the Crimson oarsmen. Although the race was close at the start, the lightweights stroked by Bill Malcolm gained open water after the Massachusetts Avenue Bridge to finish three-fourths of a length ahead of the Engineers.

Closest race of the afternoon was the Freshman opener. The contest was in doubt until the finish when the Freshmen paced by Henry Harper surged across the line only six-tenths of a second ahead of the Tech third heavies.

The J. V.'s stroked by Bill Brengle, behind the Tech J. V.'s from the start, lost their race by a length and a fourth. They were the only Harvard boat that held to the customary Bolles 32 stroke. The Varsities, 150's, and Freshmen all stroked between 34 and 35.

Tech Sets Fastest Time

Fastest time for the Henley Saturday was set by the Tech Varsity with six minutes, 41 seconds--only one second over the Henley record on the Charles Basin set two years ago by Harvard. Crimson crew times: Varsity, 6 min., 45 sec.; 150's, 6 min., 53 sec.; Freshmen, 7 min., 3 sec.; J. V.'s, 7 min., 9.3 sec.

In Friday's Freshman barge race over the three-quarter mile course, a crew stroked by Dave Satz, Jr. eked out a close victory over the other four barge crews trained by Coach Bert Haines since the beginning of the summer.

All Harvard crews are now off the water for this semester except the Freshmen, who will race the Tech Freshmen at 4:30 o'clock this afternoon to qualify the Engineers for letters.