College to Credit Harvard Men For Courses in Military Training

Half of Course Requirements for Degree Must Have Been Met While Still at Harvard

Ex-Harvard students will be able to secure Harvard College credit for certain courses that they take while in the various training programs of the Armed Forces, it was announced by Dean Buck.

By a vote of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences the following procedure was adopted in giving credit to Harvard Servicemen. The College will recognize as worthy of credit towards the bachelor's degree the studies successfully pursued in any Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Merchant Marine training program established in a college or university provided that such studies are of college level.

The College insists that at least one-half of the course requirements for the degree must have been met by the student while he was in residence at Harvard. It is also required that at least one-half of the training courses offered as credits toward the degree be of the type ordinarily included in the Harvard College curriculum.

The English composition and foreign language requirements as well as the requirements for concentration and distribution shall be maintained in principle, but appropriate plans of study shall be accepted as satisfying the requirements even though they do not coincide precisely with the existing regulation.

Two-Thirds Must Be C's

Each student shall be expected to attain grades of at least C or its equivalent in two-thirds of the courses he offers towards his degree.

Lastly it was decided that President Conant should appoint a committee to investigate and evaluate war service training programs. He will also collaborate with the Committee on Admissions to determine the standing of students admitted or readmitted to Harvard from such programs in the light of their total course of studies.