Hoopsters Lose to Columbia 54 to 43

Hennessey and Burditt Ring Up Highest Crimson Scores

By J. ROBERT Moskin, (Special to the Harvard CRIMSON.)

NEW YORK, Feb. 9--With both teams displaying a brand of sloppy, erratic ball, Columbia forged ahead in the second half of its game with Harvard last night in the Northeast tournament to whip the Crimson 54-43. The game went nip and tuck through the first half with the visiting Harvards holding a two point edge at the whistle.

Earl Brown's varsity slipped badly in the second half with the Blue tying the score at 24-all and then keeping on the victory road to swamp the Crimson in a late hour rally. Captain Bunks Burditt and Dean Hennessy did half the Harvard scoring with ten points apiece, but Columbia captain Les Martens led the game scoring with 14. Walter Budko totaled 18 points.

The Varsity played spotty ball, exhibiting a variety of defenses without being able to make any one of them click for any length of time. Burditt was visibly slowed up by his old injury but in the dying moments showed some snappy defensive play under the Columbia basket.

Except for moments of brilliant passing and set shots the Crimson appeared dead on its feet. Budko and Ken Germann were able to slip through for extra points in the rough and ready second half.

Through the first chapter, the varsity kept a point or two in front of the home five, with Mike Fansler and Hennessy doing the heavy work. A series of fouls put Columbia back in the game but final shots by Frank Bixler and George Dillon gave the varsity a 20-18 lead at half time. The half-filled gym, including the sprinkling of Harvard rooters, then saw the light blue surge ahead to stay a half dozen points ahead of the Crimson for the duration. Burditt came through with two fouls to bring the Crimson up to 37-39, but Columbia sparked by Martens and Bruce Gehrke ran away with the ball game.