DINING HALL STEWARD ENDS REIGN OVER POTS AND PANS

Merrill Served Under Three Presidents During 38 Years

Ending one of the longest over-all employee service records in Harvard University, Ned L. Merrill, dining hall steward for nearly 28 years, began his retirement Monday. Before his retirement Merrill was steward of the Eliot House dining hall.

Serving during the formative years of Harvard life, Merrill has seen four decades of Harvard men and has worked under three presidents--Eliot, Lowell and Conant. Few remember the Harvard of the past as well as Merrill.

Began in 1903

When he began working for the University in April, 1903, as steward in Randall Hall, now the University Press, the only other dining room was Memorial Hall. The kitchen was in the basement and men ate in the large room now used for examinations. While Widener Library was being built, books were stored in Randall and Merrill became stoward of Foxcroft Hall which had been converted into a dining room. Foxcroft stood behind the New Lecture Hall where the new chemical laboratories have since been crected. After a brief period of service here Merrill became assistant steward and then steward of Memorial Hall. Memorial Hall at this time served about 1400 at every meal--a far cry from the House plan of today feeding only several hundred or less at a meal.

Eliot and the Salt and Pepper Shakers

I'll never forget President Eliot," Merrill said. One day when I was stooping over in the kitchen checking on some broken dishes, someone tapped me on the back. Upon turning I immediately recognized Eliot because of the scar on his face. "Would you please see that salt and pepper shakers are sent out with the meals taken to the sick boys," Eliot said. At that time meals were delivered to men unable to come to the dining hall.

"We're Bringing up Men!"

In those days, Merrill said, waiters were stationed at the dining hall doors to slam them shut immediately when the clock on Memorial Hall sounded. Even if you were within ten feet of the door, you couldn't get in. Eliot insisted on punctuality. "If students can't get to breakfast before 9 o'clock, they don't deserve any," he used to say. "We're bringing up men!"

Classes were worked in the same manner, and janitors were posted at the classroom doors to close them as soon as the Memorial Hall clock struck. There was no late straggling into class, Merrill said.

Never Been Late

In 28 years of service, Merrill has never been late a day. "I've missed very little time off my job," he said. "In fact, the only time in my life that I can remember that I was ill for any length of time was during the last war. I missed a week because of fin." Merrill worked for the University from 1903 until 1919 and from 1931 until Sunday.

Merrill at 66 is still very active. Up until his retirement he performed a job in Eliot House that would have fatigued many a younger man. Merrill was born in New Hampshire in 1876.