Tufts Nips Hot-and-Cold Cagers 57-56 As Hyde Scores 30 Points

Away Game Nemesis Dogs Varsity Again

Taking another nosedive in its rags-to-riches season, the Crimson basketball team, which gets very homesick away from the Indoor Athletic Building, dropped a 57 to 56 overtime decision to Tufts at Medford Saturday night.

Only Captain Hugh Hyde, who produced the amazing total of 30 points for a new Harvard single game scoring record, was able to hit his targets with any consistency for the Crimson. No other Varsity cager scored more than seven points.

This inability to find the hoop was especially noticeable in the first half, when the Jumbos hopped out to a 27 to 22 lead. The action was fast and rough, and 44 personal fouls were meted out before the contest was over.

Revival

The Varsity came back strong in the second half, and at one time held a lead of 44 to 38. But Tufts rebounded in the closing moments of the half to tie the count at 53-all.

In the first minute of the five-minute overtime session. Hyde put Harvard ahead by two points, but Tufts Rocco Antonelli tied it up two minutes later. Then Hyde's foul with a minute to play looked good enough to win, and the Crimson waived two fouls to keep possession of the ball. But these tactics proved fruitless when Andy Gibbons sneaked away on a sleeper play and converted a pass from Antonelli to win the battle with twenty seconds remaining.

Shapiro Stopped

Spud Shapiro, highly touted Tufts forward, was held to two goals and four fouls, by Jack Torgan, and he left early on personal fouls. For the Crimson, Dean Hennessey was also removed on personals.

Earl Brown's quintet has been singularly unsuccessful away from home this winter. Of ten contests on the road, the Varsity has won only one--a defeat of Michigan State during Christmas.

The Harvard summary:     g  f  p Dillon, lf  2  3  7 Hennessey. rf  3  1  7 Shields, rf  1  0  2 Hyde, c  12  6  30 Fansler, lg  2  1  5 Torgan, rg  0  2  2 Bixler, rg  0  3  3 Reade, rg  0  0  0     --  --  -- Total  20  16  56