Nason to Address Nascent Trackmen At Varsity Club

60 Hopefuls Expected to Fill Draft-Pierced Squad

Sixty or more aspiring Crimson trackmen are expected to gather in the Varsity Club tonight at 7:15 o'clock as Jaakko Mikkola opens the spring season with a flourish. Movies will be shown, and Jerry Nason, sports editor of the Boston Globe and one of the nation's top experts on the cinder sport, will speak.

The Harvard squad's schedule is considerably limited this spring, but a few innovations will liven up the program. Two cross-country meets, hitherto strictly an autumn diversion, will be on the card. These hill-and-dale affairs are scheduled for March 27 and April 3, both against Boston College, Tufts, and Northeastern.

University Handicap

The annual University Handicap, in which everyone out for the squad competes, each with an appropriate handicap, is listed for April 10. Dual and triangular meets occupy the next four weeks, and the team closes down the campaign with the Heptagonals, which Harvard won last year, and the IC4A meet at New York.

Although many of Mikkola's Heptagonal champions have departed for the armed services, four of last year's competitors will be ready for action. Captain Don MacKinnon, winner of the low hurdle event in 24 seconds flat at last year's Heps, and second in the high hurdles, will lead his colleagues in action.

Also back are Tom Holyoke, 24-foot-six-inch broad jumper, troubled by a leg ailment this winter but now rounding into form; Tim Coggeshall, two-miler and cross-country runner who competed in the IC4A meet this winter; and Ward Slingerland, a 1:58 half-miler who is now working on the pole vault as well.

Promising Sophomores.

From last year's Freshman squad, tabbed as one of the best in the College's history, come sprinter Fred Carr, quarter-miler Max Pincus, half-milers Wally Clubb and Frank Mason, miler Dick Bryan, two miler Archio Lyon, high jumper Alex Rogerson, and Willo Fisher (winner of the 35-pound weight event in the IC4A two weeks ago) and gridder Sid Smith in the weights.

Promising Freshmen include Paul Laskin, who has turned in a 23-second 220, miler Mark Tuttle, who participated in the Heptagonal cross country meet, miler Matt Dick, broad jumper Bob Schneider, and high jumper Wally Flynn, also a gridiron operative of note.