ERC MEN MAY TAKE APRIL 2 A-12 EXAM

Army Decision Will Cover Mil Sci 1 Men

Reversing its decision of two weeks ago, the War Department has announced its decision to let men in the ERC take the Army A-12 tests, for the Army Specialized Training program, to be given on April 2. These changes were announced yesterday by Elliott Perkins '23, War Service director.

The shift of policy came in a radio message from Washington to the First Service Command, Perkins revealed, and has forced his office to extend the closing date for applications to take this examination to Thursday at 5 o'clock.

Mil Sci 1 Eligible

Those made eligible by the new arrangement will be men in Mil Sci 1, premedical students, and those classified under the "approved engineering" courses, which include chemistry, astronomy, physics, electronic engineering, math, and psychology.

No change has been made in the previously-announced 9 o'clock starting time, or the two-hour duration of the test. In addition, Perkins has urged all men now able to take the examination to do so, as there is nothing to lose by the competition.

Either V-12 or A-12

The examination may be taken by either a Navy V-12 candidate or for the A-12 program, or as one undecided, although if the Navy V-12 classification is desired in the end, it is best to say so immediately as the Navy will generally pick those who tried out from the start, Perkins explained.

For the Army this exam will not put the candidate in the Army any sooner than would the normal course the Selective Service system. For those who pass the exam the Army will provide a "certificate of merit" to be shown at time of induction.

The examination will be the usual type of service exam now familiar, and will include vocabulary, simple mathematics, spatial relations, and possibly some general information. Perkins emphasized the fact that as the exam will be pointed at high schools as well as college, no one need fear it.