College Poll Shows Most Students Want Strong World Council in Post-War Times

Confidence in Soviet Cooperation Found

Overwhelming undergraduate support for a world council with definite police and legislative powers was indicated by the poll of Harvard post-war opinion distributed throughout the College recently by the CRIMSON, the Post-War Council, and the Liberal Union.

Final tabulation of the 1100-odd ballots received showed that only five per cent of the student body definitely opposed an international union, while 83 per cent were in favor of surrendering to the international organization the power of issuing a binding declaration of war on "delinquent nations." Ninety-two per cent would give it vote power over policies of member nations if they are judged harmful to the maintenance of world peace.

Belief in Russia

Confidence in the part that Russia can play in the post-war world was shown by the large majority who voted that Russia would cooperate in maintaining peace after the war. Eighty-seven per cent, furthermore, were in favor of re-educating Germany to a position of equality as soon as is possible, and only one-fourth of those voting urged that Germany be partitioned.

In the national sphere, a majority of Harvard undergraduates recorded themselves as in favor of more government regulation than existed in 1938. Twenty-seven per cent thought this control too extensive; the remaining one-fifth recommended that it be kept about the same.

The Beveridge Plan as applied to this country received a somewhat tenuous endorsement, and 42 per cent called it "a vital necessity worth whatever it may cost in government control." A slightly smaller group were in favor of it "if it can be financed," while about ten per cent called it "crack-pot" and another one-tenth "dangerously totalitarian."

Labor unions were received with skepticism by many students, a majority voting that they should have less power. By a two to one vote, the formation of a labor party in this country was opposed, and a 60 per cent majority urged that anti-trust legislation be applied to labor unions.

Re-election of Roosevelt for a fourth term was endorsed, but only if the war is still in progress. Three-quarters of Results of Post-War Poll Would you favor some sort of world council or international union after the war?  Yes  1094  No  48 Should it be empowered to declare war on "delinquent nations" binding all others to contribute troops?  Yes  466  No  95 Should it control commerce?  Yes  558  No  210 Should it maintain an international Police Force?  Yes  507  No  72 Should it vote policies of member nations if they are judged harmful to the maintenance of world peace?  Yes  517  No  46 Do you think that Russia will cooperate in maintaining the post-war peace?  Yes  414  No  114 Do you believe that in the peace settlement: The German nation should be partitioned?  Yes  111  No  420 Germany should be reeducated as soon as possible to assume a position of equality?  Yes  492  No  69 Do you favor the elimination of all economic barriers between all nations?  Yes  321  No  341 Do you think that the interests of the United States will be best served by: More government regulation (compared with that of about 1938?        351 Less government regulation?        181 The same amount of government regulation?        150 Would you vote for Roosevelt for a fourth term: If the war is still in progress?  Yes  550  No  239 If we are in a readjustment era following the war?  Yes  328  No  410

the College would oppose him in a readjustment era. Another two to one majority voted against reducing the age limit for the suffrage to 18 years.

Finally, the importance of religion after the war was denied by considerable majorities, both on the counts of desirability, and whether or not it could actually assume a more vital role