"DONA ROSITA" TO BE GIVEN BY HDC

Radcliffe Idler Cooperates In Club's Spring Production

The Harvard Dramatic Club announced last night that its spring production will be Frederic Garcia Lorca's "Dena Rosits." The play, to be given in cooperation with the Radcliffe Idler, will see its United States premiere on April 28, 29, 30, and May 1.

It was announced at the same time that Miss Phyllis Stohl, director of the HDC's last show, "Mashenka," would direct this joint effort of the two clubs. Although casting has not yet been completed, rehearsals of "Dena Rosita" will begin next week.

The release containing the announcement of the name, dates, director, and author of the play, also contained some background material for the production. "When the clubs did Afinegon's Mashenka' they rewrote parts of the script, but now Miss Stohl feels that the whole mood of the play might be lost if alterations were made."

A short synopsis is given by the HDC release. "Dena Rosita, the lovely heroine, promises to wait for her finance, who must go abroad. She waits, preparing her trousseau for an immediate wedding. She waits 20 years in vain, the whole town pities her. But Rosita, in a magnificent last act, reveals her secret life, the happiness she has had in dreaming."

Then the release goes on and tells a little something about Lorea himself. It says how Lorea was a loyalist, fighting against France's rebels in Spain, and then how the rebels finally caught up with him and shot him. The release says that "this play by Lorca, a heart-warming tale of love loss and laughter in Granada (that's in Spain), at the turn of the century, has been demanded by Spanish audiences for some time." In fact, Lorca was at one time known as the Spanish Chokhov, which is plenty good.