SWIMMERS STAGE UPSET BY BEATING DARTMOUTH

Mermen's 44-31 Win Evens Their Record

What the football, basketball, and hockey teams were unable to do this year was accomplished by the swimming team. That is, they beat Dartmouth Saturday afternoon in the Indoor Athletic Building Pool. This feat was accomplished by the score of 44 to 31.

The Ulenmen fell behind when they lost the first event, the 300 yard medley, then captured the lead and held it by taking first and second place in the 220 yard free style. Captain Johnny Eusden paced the squad by taking firsts in the 50 and 100 yard free styles and by swimming the last leg of the 400 yard relay.

Don Ulen Surprise Winner

Consistent winners Dave Barnes and George Christman also contributed their share to the Crimson triumph. The biggest surprise of the day was Coach Hal Ulen's son Don, who won the 200 yard breast stroke, He defeated the Indians' highly touted Paul Lux with the fine time of 2:37.4.4

Coach Ulen, before the meet, virtually conceded the 300 yard relay and the backstroke to his opponents and was counting on his boys to capture enough points out of the other events. They came through, taking firsts in all but one of the remaining ones.

This was the mermen's third win in the Eastern Intercollegiate Swimming League, the others being over Penn and Army. They have been beaten by Columbia, Navy, and Princeton. They also hold victories over Brown and M. I. T., but neither count in league competition.

One Meet Left

The squad has just one more meet left, taking place when it squares off with Yale here on Saturday, March 13. The Eastern Intercollegiates is also scheduled here on Friday and Saturday of the following week.