Chase, Newsome Face Crimson In Re-Scheduled Red Sox Game

Stahlmen-Sox Tilt Opens Big Weekend

By Irvin M. Horowitz

Unseasonable April weather yesterday afternoon moved the Crimson's big game with the Red Sox back to this afternoon, Weather permitting, the boys and the men will go at it starting at 3 o'clock today at Fenway Park.

Ken Chase, erratic left-hander with a first-rate fastball, and Dick Newsome, dependable right-hander, are expected to take the mound this afternoon for Joe Cronin's nine. The rest of the lineup should be about the same as printed in Wednesday's CRIMSON, except that John Lazor, rookie outfielder, will probably be in left field in place of the venerable Al Simmons.

Nor are there any changes planned in Coach Floyd Stahl's lineup. Warren Berg, captain of the nine, will be on the mound, with Ned Fitzgibbons as his receiver.

In its first remote broadcast originating outside the College, the Crimson Network will present a play-by-play account of the Red Sox game today, starting at 2:45 o'clock, direct from Fenway Park. Brad Perkins '46 will handle the description.

A busy weekend is in store for the Stahlmen. After the Red Sox get through with them today, they will take on the Lincoln Mohawks, a semi-pro outfit, tomorrow afternoon at Soldiers Field. Joe Phelan, Jack Farley, or Bud Mains will be on the mound.

Then, on Tuesday, the Varsity entertains Boston University in a return engagement. The Terriers pinned a 5 to 4 11-inning victory on the Crimson in the opening game last Saturday afternoon.

Prepping for the Red Sox, the team journeyed to Andover Wednesday afternoon, and behind the three-hit pitching of Sophomore Brendon Reilly, who struck out 13 schoolboys, the Crimson was triumphant 4 to 1. Reilly's single in the second with the bases loaded scored the first two Varsity runs, and Andover replied with its lone tally in the bottom half of the inning, profiting on errors by Reilly and Ned Fitzgibbons.

The probable lineups: HARVARD  RED SOX Forte, 2b  ss, Lake Clark, rf  rf, Fox Heath, lf  2b, Doerr Fitzgibbons, c.  lf, Lazor Flynn, cf  1b, Lupien Gallagher, 3b  cf, Garrison Slattery, 1b  3b, Tabor or Newsome Gleason, ss  c, Peacock Berg, p  p, Chase and Newsome