COACH TOM BOLLES LEAVES TO ACCEPT COMMISSION IN NAVY

Bert Haines to Take Over As Head of Crimson Eight

The most successful crew coach in decades will leave his charges in midstream this year to accept a commission in the Navy. Tom Bolles, a fixture here since 1936, will leave on Saturday to report for indoctrination at Columbia University in New York. Bert Haines will take over Bolles task of whipping the oarsmen into shape for the rest of the season.

Bolles revealed last night that his duties will be in the line of retraining Navy V-12 men, although he is at present not sure of the exact nature of his work. He will enter the service with the rank of a full lieutenant.

Crew Shaping Up

The crew that Bolles leaves behind for Haines to polish this year is shaping up fairly well, with a fair time trial on a choppy Charles yesterday, in spite of what Bolles characterized as a poor year for rowing in general. Hampered by cold weather during the vital early days of spring, the oar swingers will row M. I. T. in the first race of the season a week from Saturday.

Last year Bolles did what no other Harvard crew coach had been able to do in the long history of Harvard-Yale races, ringing up the seventh consecutive win over the Blues, while his three other crews were busy sweeping the seas at Derby, wartime home of the classic race. In addition, when the Crimson let Yale see its wash, it completed its second undefeated year in a row under the guidance of Bolles.