Kirkland Loses Straus Trophy as Leverett Breaks Into Top Ranks

Cup Leaves Deacons' Shelf After 4 Years; Award Captured by Bunnies for First Time

By Wallace I. Green

After four years of residence in Kirkland House, the Straus Trophy finally signed a new lease and will rest in Leverett for the coming athletic year. This marks the first time any House other than either Kirkland or Lowell has had possession of the cup.

In the final tabulation, Leverett garnered 1542 1/2 points to Kirkland's 1490, making the second closest race in the history of the House leagues. The closest took place four years ago when the Deacons just nosed out the Bellboys by winning their softball game on the final day of the season.

Adams House Third

Adams House took third place with 1255 points and was followed respectively by Lowell, 1211 2/3, Eliot, 1106 2/3, Dunster, 1094 1/6, Winthrop, 1050, and Dudley, 730.

The Bunnies got off to a good start in the race and were consistent all the way, while the Deacons started poorly, gained momentum as the season progressed and finished with a show of strength that just fell short of giving them the trophy permanently.

Leverett Won Football

Leverett's good start consisted of winning the football title, a sport in which Kirkland placed sixth. During the fall season, the Bunnies also succeeded in capturing the soccer crown, although in this sport, Kirkland took second.

Consistency was the Bunnies' keynote during the winter season as they won basketball and boxing, took second in wrestling and swimming, and finished third in hockey, squash, and volleyball.

Kirkland Won Wrestling

The Deacons showed their first signs of strength when they took the volleyball and wrestling titles and placed second in basketball, squash, and boxing. They fell down, however, by dropping into seventh place in both swimming and hockey. Had they been able to improve these standings, they could conceivably have retained the cup.

In the spring season, Leverett won softball, took second in tennis and golf, and captured fourth in crew and baseball. On the other hand, Kirkland made its supreme effort by sweeping crew, baseball, tennis, and golf, and taking second in softball.

Adams Swept Touch Football

Adams' claim to fame is the sweeping of both touch football leagues, while Lowell's year was highlighted with the taking of second place in hockey and third in baseball. Winthrop won hockey and swimming as well as finishing third in football.

Sparkplugs of the Bunnies this year were Norm Cameron and Danny Garelik, both of whom were high scorers in basketball, along with Bud Lane and Frank Gillis who starred in football. Frank Dunham was the standout among the Deacons.

Many changes in lineups were necessary during the year because of prevailing national conditions, but things went along fairly smoothly except for the period during the winter season in which a good many of the leagues' stars were lost through graduation and ERC notices.

During the spring season, things straightened themselves out, although a little confusion was caused by the many baseball and softball games, necessitating late season double headers. It was this poor weather which kept Kirkland from winning the baseball championship until they had played a double header last Saturday.