Supreme Court Justice Sotomayor Talks Justice, Civic Engagement at Radcliffe Day

Church Says It Did Not Authorize ‘People’s Commencement’ Protest After Harvard Graduation Walkout

‘Welcome to the Battlefield’: Maria Ressa Talks Tech, Fascism in Harvard Commencement Address

Multimedia

In Photos: Harvard’s 373rd Commencement Exercises

Rabbi Zarchi Confronted Maria Ressa, Walked Off Stage Over Her Harvard Commencement Speech

V-MEN , CIVILIANS START WARTIME CONDITIONING

Instructors of Navy To Lead Calisthenics

Harvard's V-Men and civilians got into stop this week to start off the new and novel athletic program. The presence of sailor uniforms, an integral part of the whole Harvard V-12 training, no longer occasions any comment. Loss obvious, and loss well known, are the eight chief petty officers, specialists in some phase or other of athletics, who are bolstering the staff of the department.

The first few days have already presented the greatest problems in the smooth working out of the program. The hot weather has led to the overloading of the afternoon swimming classes and has also sent more than capacity crowds to the Newell Boat House.

On Monday, the V-12 men and the civvies will have to sign up for a specific hour to get into the pool and receive athletic credits. The swimming schedule will have classes at 11:15, 12:15, 2, 2:30, 3, and 4 o'clock. From 5 to 6 o'clock they can cool off without any prescribed exertion.

The same sign-up system may go into effect on the Charles if the boat club is faced with more crowds. As the situation now stands, new men of '47 won't be allowed to pilot the singles until September. More spectacular is the appearance of the 16 oar dreadnaught, Leviathan, with Bert Haines as the skipper.

For those more or less interested in the conditioning program, there are classes in the gym at 11:15, and 12:15 o'clock and at the field at 3:45, 4:45, and 5:30 o'clock. The afternoon presents a poser to the authorities since laboratory conflicts are widespread, and classes are very large. On the rainy days, Soldiers Field will move into Briggs Cage.