THE HARD SCUTTLEBUTT

Naval Training School (Communications)

An informal survey of the civilian backgrounds of officers in the Naval Training School (Communications) at Harvard University shows that the men come from diverse occupations including more than 11-different categories, and have had practical experience in such widely separated fields from agriculture to architecture, it was announced today by Lieut. Commander M. E. Paradise, Officer in Charge.

A questionnaire check made by instructors in the radio engineering classes reveals in the interesting fact that many men now studying how to conduct communications work aboard ship have already had service with the fleet or with the U.S. Army. One hundred and seventeen, or nine per cent, are in this group.

Covers All Companies

This survey covers Companies A through E in the NTS and includes over 1200 men who were questioned. Practically all of the men in the school hold college degrees and may have done graduate work.

Twenty-six per cent of the officers were employed in the field of education, either as teachers or graduates schools. The largest number are represented in Company A, with 77 men, and the smallest in Company D, with 50. The total number of educators listed is 319.

Running second percentage wise are the business men, with a total of 25 per cent or 305. Their number seems to be tops in Company B, with 73 former executives, and smallest in Company C, with 51. The next largest contingent in the school is made up of ex-accountants, 15 per cent or 189 in number. These former income tax wrestlers are largest in Company D, with 44, and drop down to 27 in Company

Many Lawyers

The lawyers have come to Harvard with 104 men, or eight per cent, at the school. An interesting group is comprised of men with backgrounds in chemistry, research and other fields and these scientists form six per cent of the enrollment.

There are, in addition, men who have served as engineers-civil, industrial and electrical; former bankers, newspapermen and others with publication experience.

The student officers hail from practically every state in the Union, most of them are married and their commissions range from ensign to lieutenant commander.