Matthiesson Opposes Race Riots In Liberalism Speech

Freedom Must Imply Equality, He Claims

"If people believe in freedom, then they must believe in equality" declared Professor F. O. Matthiesson Tuesday night in reference to the attitude Americans must take towards the race riots flaring up in this country.

Matthiesson asked his audience, "Are we liberals; are we for racial equality in America? In 1936, people were thinking in terms of progressive reform, while now we have lost sight of those ideals due to the complications brought by the war. Is socialization to come?"

The occasion of Professor Matthiesson's blasts at the American social problem was an address entitled "Liberalism in American History," the second of a series of lectures concerning "Liberalism in a World at War" presented weekly at the Lowell House Junior Common Room on Tuesdays.

"Liberalism" Is Loose Term

The term "liberalism" has a loose and slippery meaning and may often be confused because of its varied use in reference to religious, social, political, and philosophical topics explained Professor Matthiesson. As an example, he stated. "Since the '32 election, everyone calls himself a liberal, but obviously they are not all liberal in one sense."

Tuesday's speaker will be the Reverend Frederick R. Griffin of the Philadelphia Unitarian Club who is to speak on "What We Mean by a Liberal Religion." In later weeks, speaker describing the various aspects of liberalism will include C. K. M. Kluckhorn of the Anthropology Department here.