SOROKIN FORSEES DECADENCE IN MORALE BY FATHER DRAFT

Sociology Professor Fears Delinquency, Criminality

Pre-Pearl Harbor fathers and their families are the subjects of the latest article by Pitirim A. Sorokin, professor of Sociology. The article, distributed nationally by the United Press, agrees with neither Burnet Hershey nor Burton Wheeler, and discusses the classical effect on the family by the "loss of dad."

Professor Sorokin states that the effect of the father draft will depend mainly upon the training which the drafted father had given his family. Showing that the loss of the head of the family will result "in weak families" in "demoralization, irreligiosity, even criminality," Professor Sorokin also says that "for good families . . . the draft will intensify and deepen moral stamina, religiosity, sense of duty and devotion."

On two points Professor Sorokin claims that the draft will have a vicious impact on the American family. Biologically, he claims, it will probably lower the birth-rate "if the men are away for a long time," and economically the draft will "lower the material standard of living" of the average family.

Burton Wheeler's psychological misery finds no sounding board in Professor Sorokin, who says that the psychoneuroses which will result from the draft will be balanced by "the grace of duty and sacrifice for the common good."

The Boston Traveler, which has been campaigning against the father draft, printed above the article the headline, "Harvard Expert Hits Father Draft." Professor Sorokin commented, "If they had read the article before writing the headline, perhaps they would have realized that I took no sides."