EXPERIENCED MEN AVAILABLE AT MOST FOOTBALL POSITIONS

Anderson, Perkins, Garrity Eder Form Varsity Backfield

By Robert S. Landau

It may not be recognized as such but there is a football team working out at Soldiers Field, and from the looks of things, it appears to be just about on a par with last year's eleven. The boys have been making Henry Lamar almost happy at practice sessions, and that's a very unusual condition for a football coach.

Yesterday afternoon there was a scrimmage, and, considering the fact that this was the eighth day of practice, it was quite a show. People still weren't too sure of things, but most assignments were carried out, most of the players seemed to know what was supposed to happen, and the potentialities of the squad were apparent.

One thing that makes any sort of judgment difficult is that lab schedules make it impossible for any group of 11 men to work together all week. To get an idea of what all the boys look like at once, Henry is holding an intra-squad practice game Saturday afternoon after the V-12 drill.

As it has been lining up most of the week, the Varsity backfield includes Swede Anderson of last year's eleven at blocking back; Ray Eder, who starred in last year's spring practice, at wing; Paul Garrity, former Jayvee fullback, at tailback now; and Paul Perkins, Varsity sub in '42, who has the nod over Minnesota Joe Lauterback at the 3 spot.

In the line, Ed Donovan of Columbia shapes up as one of the best Crimson centers in recent years. He is flanked by Gibby King of last year's Junior Varsity and Freshman Wally Mroz. The tackles are also strong points, with veterans George Hibbard and Steve Mallett in charge, while a pair of Freshmen, Haymond and Holt, are at the ends