KLUCKHOHN TALKS AGAINST LIBERALS

Clyde K. M. Kluckhohn, Associate Professor of Anthropology, slashed out with a lecture modestly entitled "The Case Against Liberalism," at Tuesday evening's "Liberalism" meeting, the fourth in a series of seven. Not only did the speaker flail the liberal conception of basic human nature, but he also hit at our religion of today, declaring "we need a church, a new church, an humanistic secular church."

Kluckhohn, to the amusement of his audience, sarcastically referred to a liberalist as one who writes for the "New Republic" or "The Nation," joins the Liberal Union here, and believes "by his very nature, man is good and all one has to do is give him knowledge to keep him in this state." He claimed that Liberals in their theories tend to overestimate the role of human behavior.

Example of Italy

Using the then hostile Italy as an example, he stated that as we move into Calabria, the liberals will wish to destroy all existing forms of the present Italian political set-up. We should, he declared, be willing to cooperate with both pro and anti factions in the local areas, depending upon which faction is predominate and would be received best by the populace. His two main points were that we should work through existing social organizations and that we should proceed by small integrated steps rather than by bold moves in changing over the political set-up of Italy.

Returning to religion, Kluckhohn declared, "at present we need a new faith that will hold us together. Religion that is supernaturalism is a bad thing." He pointed out the usual statement in defense of religion now is "that many million Frenchmen can't be wrong" and thus religion lacks the necessary convincing punch.