HU SHIH STATES COURSE GOALS FOR NEXT TERM

Former Ambassador Slated To Teach Chinese History

Hu Shih, Chinese ambassador to the United States in 1940 and probably the world's leading authority on Chinese history and philosophy, is expected to arrive at Harvard within the next three weeks to take up residence for his course next term on "A History of Chinese Thought."

Announced in the new "Courses of Instruction" booklet as Chinese 11a, the series of lectures, as described by Shih himself, will "cover about 25 centuries of the development of Chinese thought in the realm of social and political problems, religion, morals, and the more strictly philosophical speculation. The historical background of the larger political changes, racial movements, scientific progress, and cultural development in general will be considered in dealing with each age and its subdivisions."

Shih Honored by Harvard

Now living in New York City, Hu Shih was honored by Harvard during the University's Tercentenary in 1936. At that time he was professor of Chinese philosophy and Dean of the Faculty of Letters at the National University of Peiping. He is recognized as the outstanding figure in the Chinese literary renaissance and a great influence on the new generation of scholars. Recently Shih has been lecturing to ASTP groups in addition to carrying on personal research.

Also announced yesterday in connection with the new Course booklet are several errors and omissions.

Course Book Changes

Chemistry 40 is to be given in the spring term instead of in the winter term; Physics 24b is to be given Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 9 o'clock instead of Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11 o'clock; Physics 26a is to be given Monday and Friday at 10 o'clock; Psychology 10b is to be eliminated; and Sociology 5c is to be added to the group, "For Undergraduates and Graduates."

Sociology 5c, "The Sociology of War, Famine, and Revolution," will be offered in the spring term Monday, Wednesday, and (at the pleasure of the instructor) Friday at 11 o'clock by Professor Sorokin