Allport Urges Federal Poll To Reveal Public Opinions

Postwar Importance Cited by Professor

Calling the public opinion poll "probably the most important new development in social science in this century," Gordon W. Allport '19, professor of psychology, yesterday recommended the formation of a government sponsored poll to determine the wishes of the people.

I think it would be a good idea," Professor Allport states, "for an official government poll to keep up a continuous scientific check on public attitudes--both domestic and international." He predicted that such a bill would sooner or later be submitted to Congress, but admitted that it will meet "stiff opposition."

According to Professor Allport, the opponents of the bill, such as the author columnist Dorothy Thompson, fear that such a government poll would do away with representative government, and put "too much pressure" on the elected representatives. In answer, Allport points to the powerful lobbies in Congress, and counters, "if pressure is going to be applied, it is better for the people to apply it not special interest groups."

Not Used Until 1936

Tracing the history of public opinion polls, Professor Allport declared that they did not come into use until 1936, but that before the present war, seven democracies used surveys. He believes that polls are now being re-established in France, and stated that they were used by Allied Military Authorities in Sicily and in other re-occupied countries to determine housing and food conditions, as well as the needs, complaints, and desires of the populace.

Showing also that the public opinion poll is useful now in our wartime economy, Allport commented that the Office of the Civilian Requirements of the War Production Board uses that method to determine the public need for scarce commodities.

Accurate in Election

As for the recent Presidential election, Allport found that the opinion polls had been "vindicated." His most recent figures show the Roosevelt popular vote--with the soldier ballots not yet completely counted--a bit under 53%; Allport concludes that the Office of Public Opinion Research poll (52.5%) and the Fortune poll (53.6%) were the closest, although the final count may give the honors to some other poll.

Because of the electoral college system, however, Professor Allport admits public opinion polls are deficient in predicting the precise results of the Presidential election. "Polls are mostly useful for keeping the finger on the pulse of opinion."