Med School Awaits Vote

Women May Attend If Overseers Approve

On the recommendation of the faculty of the Medical School the Harvard Corporation has voted to admit women to the Medical School. The Corporation's decision is still subject to the approval of the Board of Overseers, who are expected to concur.

Over a year ago the Medical faculty decided to admit women students, but their suggestion was turned down by a vote of the seven members of the Corporation. This spring the faculty of the Med School re-affirmed their stand, however, and the seven policy-makers of the University reversed their previous ballot and put the matter up to the Overseers.

Must Apply in Advance

Since applicants must seek admission to the Medical School at least ten months in advance of the expected entrance date according to the regulations of the institution, no women can be admitted before 1945, even if the Overseers act immediately. No limit has been placed on the number of women to be accepted in the first class affected by the new decision.

Two of the Graduate Schools have already had women's classes for some time. Up to 80 women have studied in the School of Education each year, and a few have been in the School of Public Health. One more step in the gradual assimilation of women students into the University, this latest action will, upon approval by the Board of Overseers, open one of the outstanding United States professional schools to women for the first time.

Instrumental in this important and revolutionary step were the members of the Corporation, President Conant, William H. Claflin, Jr. '15, Grenville Clark '03, Charles A. Coolidge, Jr. '17, Henry James '99, Roger I. Lee 01, and Henry L. Shattuck '01.