UNIVERSITY DOWN TO 1284 CIVILIANS

Registration Smallest in Sixty-Nine Years; 5000 Navy Men, 1000 Army Men at College

Harvard University began its three hundred and ninth academic year Wednesday with a total of 1,284 civilian students, the smallest enrollment since 1875. In addition, there are now some 5,000 Navy officers and enlisted men, and some 1,000 Army trainees, in the special training schools at the University.

These figures represent a drop of almost 300 from the March total of 1,550, and a somewhat larger decline from the total of 1,780 civilian students who registered last July, a for cry from the peacetime averages of 8,000 University students, and from the low mark of 3,684 during the first World War.

Undergraduate Enrollment Rises

Of the 1,284, 753 are undergraduate students, including 414 members of the newly-arrived Class of 1948. These figures contrast sharply with an average undergraduate enrollment during peace-time of 3,500.

Registration at the graduate schools has fallen to a new low of 531. This does not include the Law School, which will open July 31 with an expected attendance of about 45 students, as contrasted to a normal enrollment of more than 800. In peace-time the graduate schools usually accommodated about 4,500 students.

Included in the graduate schools figures are 142 students in Arts and Sciences, 220 in Education, 36 war industry executives in the Business School, 26 in the Divinity School, 20 in the School of Design, 12 in Engineering, 17 in the Medical School, 13 in Public Administration, 14 Special Students, 15 Junior Fellows. and one in Dental Medicine.