"Two Girls and A Sailor"

!!!

"Everybody wants to get into the act," said Durante, and nearly everybody does in "Two Girls and a Sailor." From sizzling Cugat to sultry Lena Horne, Paramount has turned out two hours of delectable divertissement, with little or no continuity but a goodly assortment of the proverbial women and song.

The two girls are June Allyson and Gloria DeHaven, the sailor Van Johnson. Miss Allyson's notable contribution is a torrid rendition of "Young Man With A Horn"; Miss DeHaven is sensational as her own good-enough-to-eat, red-headed self; while Johnson chases the gals across the screen often enough to hold the interest of even the most hardened wolf.

The plot, what there is of it, concerns a giganlie servicemen's dream recreation center, run by our two something-for-the-boys gals, which forms one big setting for the lush and purty dance numbers that make "Two Girls and A Sailor" so easy on the eyes.

Easy on the eyes, it also gives the funny bone a workout, what with Mr. James Durante giving out raucous and riotons as a has-been actor making a come-back. Durante's real-life comeback gives his nostalgic character job much pathos and effect, along with his side-splitting humor. And with Young Man with a Horn Harry James tooting a mean tube, Gracie Allen going through the paces of her one-fingered piano comedy-classic, and Jose Iturbi doing some serious and dignified ivory-tickling, "Two Girls and A Sailor" has something of just about everything.