53 Pass Step Test In Second Attempt

All but Seven of Freshmen Allowed Choice of Athletics

Of 60 Freshmen who failed to pass the step tests given at the beginning of the summer term, 53 have passed the five minute ordeal in their second trial, according to the latest tabulation of the Physical Education Department.

James Cox, in charge of special exercise, who gave the re-takes which have occupied the last two weeks; believes that of the 60 who failed in their first trial, 55 could have passed "if they had known how to drive themselves when they got tired."

Although 50 of the boys had never engaged in athletics, the six weeks' period of intensive calisthenics brought scores as low as 25 up to the passing mark of 65. The largest point gain was from 38 to 81.

The seven Freshmen who failed to pass the re-test will join a special conditioning class which will be "devised to meet individual needs." The regular calisthenics will be continued, and a program of running and muscle-building will be added.

Cox calls the step test "the quickest and best test yet discovered" to judge physical development. He is confident of bringing the seven men up to passing by "teaching them how to pace themselves."