VARSITY GRIDMEN WILL FACE BATES HERE ON SEPTEMBER 23

First Game Against Tufts This Saturday

One more game has been added to the Crimson informal Varsity football schedule, Carroll F. Getchell, director of the H.A.A., announced yesterday. The eleven will face Bates at Soldiers Field on September 23, thus increasing the fall card to a total of four contests.

Coach Henry Lamar is rounding his "A" squad into shape for the quartet of encounters which the team will face on successive Saturdays, starting this week with a meeting with Tufts. Together with assistant mentor Floyd Stahl, Lamar has been drilling the gridmen on tricky offense and defense tactics.

Punting practice has occupied the time of several members of the team during the past week. Wally Trumbull, Bill Jenkins, Ken Brown, and Walt Coulson have shown the most talent among the prospective booters. Coulson, Freshman baseball star, was moved up to the first squad as an end this week, and thus may follow in the footsteps of the famed Loren MacKinney, first string wingman on the 1940 team, who moved into the backfield to get off 65 yard kicks.

Cowen Improves

Another development has been the rapid improvement of powerful Bob Cowen at the fullback post. Cowen, whose brother Tom was a plunging back on the 1942 eleven, has displaced Paul Garrity from the post which the latter held at the beginning of the season. Together with speedy Ed Navin, who has also advanced since the start of practice, Cowen will handle most of the running and passing for Lamar.

All servicemen will be admitted to the four informal games free of charge, Getchell revealed yesterday. In addition, all civilian College students who hold H.A.A. participation tickets will be able to view the encounters gratis, while tickets for all outsiders will be priced at reduced wartime rates. Seats for all of the games except the Boston College battle are unreserved. Arrangements for the B.C. game are not yet completed and will be announced in the future.