CONSERVATIVE LEAGUE STARTS; THIRTY ATTEND

Club Sets Political Policies; Will Sponsor Public Forums

To provide the College with "the other side of the question," the Harvard Conservative League, constituting a counter-movement to the Harvard Liberal Union, field its first meeting Wednesday at 7:48 o'clock in the Adams Upper Common Room, with over 30 men attending.

"Conservative Thinking and Constitutional Government" were the principal subjects of the League's founders, who include Simon A. Sayre '47, Richard A. Snelling '48, and Robin Worthington '47. Phillip S. Jastrom of the Physics Department is acting as faculty adviser.

Governors Saltonstall, Dewey, and Tricker were invited to speak at the initial forum of the organization, which will be held within the next two weeks. None of the three has as yet accepted. In its first meeting the League decided to distribute an open letter disclosing its cause and telling of its initial speaker. The club also excluded from membership any person who is enrolled with the Harvard Liberal Union or the American Youth for Democracy.

The League will discuss current political policies, publish their arguments and exclusions in a bulletin, and sponsor public forums on current conservative policy.

Requirements for membership into the Harvard group include attendance at two meetins and the payment of dues. A similar League for Radcliffe is anticipated by HCL officials.