FDR VICTOR IN STUDENT POLL

New HLU Publication Tells Reported Italo-Allied Terms

Results of the Harvard Liberal Union's recent student political poll show that a 2 to 1 majority of Harvard and Radcliffe resident civilians favor the reelection of President Roosevelt. The Liberal Union also asserted in the first issue of its new intercollegiate publication. The Student Progressive, that only 59 percent of the students know the names of their senators.

A poll conducted by the CRIMSON in 1940 reported Harvard as favoring Wendell L. Willkie. The HLU survey, certified by a notary public and covering 82 percent of Harvard and 87 percent of Radcliffe, discovered that 63 percent favored the Roosevelt-Truman ticket. Four percent wrote in Willkie's name for president.

Revoal Reported Terms

Also featured in the Progressive is a statement by Professor Santillana of M.I.T., endorsed by Harvard's Salvemini and La Piana, revealing for the first time "reliably reported" Allied-Italian armistice terms. According to the article, Italy will cede the entire eastern shore of the Adriatic to Yugoslavia, certain territories to France, and Pantelleria and other islands to Britain. The article places emphasis on the reported economic terms.

Says The Progressive: "These terms involve a permanent Angle-American ownership of 50 percent of the capital of Italian heavy industry and banking, and conscription of two million Italian workers . . . as indentured labor. The economic control in 50 percent ownership is nothing but a step toward economic exploitation. Any such exploitation will lead to a rancer among Italians which will destroy the chances for any liberal, popular regime."

The Student Progressive, replacing the Liberal Union Bulletin, will be distributed to all colleges in the vicinity of Boston, and will include contributions by students from these schools. "We feel that since these colleges do not have liberal student publications, we are filling a definite need by distributing the Progressive there," stated Leopold Haimson '46, Managing Editor