Cliffe To Hit Tutorial Slash In Mass Rally

Buck Will Speak for Defense of Proposal

"We've been sold up the creek," said the pretty Radcliffe Senior, and the "we" referred to nearly all 'Cliffe girls; the colloquialism referred to the treatment of the tutorial system in the report of Harvard's "Objectives" Committee, "General Education in a Free Society."

To explain the General Education proposals and to parry the barbs of the disappointed Radcliffe girls, Dean Buck, chairman of the General Education Committee, will address a Radcliffe mass meeting tomorrow afternoon at 1 o'clock.

Last spring the Radcliffe Student Government reported that, in the opinion of the 579 'Cliffedwellers it polled, tutorial provides contact with great minds, improves the ability to reason, analyze, and synthesize, integrates factual knowledge, permits specialization within a field on various topics, and is itself a source of general education.

Assisted by Benjamin F. Wright, chairman of Harvard's Government Department, the Student Government sent out questionnaires and discovered that only five out of 579 "joint instructees" thought that tutorial should be limited to Dean's List students, and only 14 thought it should be limited exclusively to honors candidates.

Radcliffe girls assumed that Wright, a member of the "$60,000 Committee," would use his influence to incorporate their findings in the General Education Report; but when the Report appeared in August, it proposed that tutorial be limited, with a few exceptions in the cases of particularly gifted Sophomores, to Juniors who are candidates for honors and to those Seniors who, as candidates for honors, have proved themselves capable in their Junior tutorial and course work.