GUMMERE NOT TO RUN IN CAMBRIDGE ELECTION

Retains Position as Admission Secretary

Like Calvin Coolidge in a similar situation, "I do not choose to run," was the response of Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Admissions Committee, to the Cambridge Civic Association last week when pressed to run again for the Cambridge School Board.

Gummere declared in an interview with the SERVICE NEWS last night that the pressure of his new committee duties forced him to retire from the board. He is now serving with the Massachusetts State High School Equivalency Commission, which decides on the academic credit available to veterans for training received in the armed forces, and which anticipates an avalanche of work during the demobilization period.

"The work of the College Admissions Committee is also on the upgrade," said Gummere. "In addition to the responsibility for all new civilian enrollments, we must now deal with all the returning servicemen who held certificates of admission but were unable to take advantage of them before induction."

Gummere's two year term on the School Board ends on December 31. He was elected in November, 1943, in a campaign "that tires me even to think of now. In one night I had five political rallies to cover, everything from the Schoolmothers' Association to a local of the Cambridge Garbage Collectors' Union.

"Everybody told me I didn't have a chance of election. I didn't try to appeal to specific economic and racial groups, but I told the voters I would just work for an honest and efficiently managed school system." He came in fifth out of six in a proportional representation race that was featured by the multiplicity of viewpoints and candidates.

Gummere tried to maintain this attitude throughout his tenure of office. "I wasn't in there to present the case of any interest or group," he said. He freely admits that the school system was and still is, snarled with knotty problems. "But I didn't have to play politics and inflate small issues. It was always better when we settled issues, even of a hot racial nature, as quietly and unostentatiously as possible.

"I would rather not comment on any of the candidates in this election for the same reason; that kind of thing just adds gasoline to a smouldering fire. However I personally go along with the Civic Association and support all the people they endorse."