GOV. DEPARTMENT TO GAIN STRENGTH

Emerson, Hopper to Return To Teachinng from War Jobs

Although the Government Department claims no battle-scarred veterans of Normandy and Okinawa among members of its permanent staff, a majority of its men have served in important positions during the war. Not until next fall, when Rupert Emerson '22 and Bruce C. Hopper '24, associate professors of Government. are expected to resume their duties in the University, will the department return to its peacetime normal.

Emerson in State Dept.

Emerson is associated at present with the Office of Far Eastern Affairs of the Department of State, has attended a number of important international conferences, and has made several trips overseas in conjunction with his work. Most recently he was a member of the Presidential mission headed by Judge Samuel I. Rosenman, which went to Europe early this year to report on the economic conditions of the liberated areas of northwest Europe. The importance and intricacy of this task is indicated by the length of time, from February until June, that Emerson was in Europe.

From June until October, 1943, he was the director of the Liberated Areas Branch of the Lend-Loase Administration, which later was amalgamated into the Foreign Economic Administration. Prior to this he held positions in the Department of the Interior and the OPA.

Hopper spent three years in London as official historian for the 8th Air Force. Before going to London, he was in Stockholm for the OWI.

The Civil Affairs Training School in Cambridge took much of the time of Merle Fainsod, associate professor of Government, and Carl J. Friedrich, professor of Government. CATS was established exclusively for training occupation forces.