COLLEGES RAP DRAFT SYSTEM

Presidents Wire Selective Service Proposals to May

Urging a cool-headed analysis of the future defensive needs of the country rather than a hasty ill-considered draft policy, the presidents of 34 colleges and universities, including President Conant, dispatched a lengthy telegram to Chairman May of the House Military Affairs Committee on Tuesday.

Bowdoin, Brown, Dartmouth, Tufts, and Williams were among the other New England institutions to subscribe to the three point recommendation which called for a thorough study of our long range defensive program. The statement was offered as an alternative to immediate enactment of universal military training.

Demand Trial for Enlistment

The presidents acknowledged the immediate issue created by the rapid demobilization of the armed forces, but wished to await positive proof as to whether or not adequate manpower can be secured for the services by voluntary enlistment. Before the emergence of this "definite proof," they proposed the following as an interim policy.

First they favored the extension of the present Selective Service Act, when it expires next May, but with the important reservation that it be on a year-to- year basis. They also insisted that the maximum period of service for the new draftees be fifteen months.

The signatories demanded as a second necessity "vigorous promotion of a new program of voluntary enlistment, stressing adequate pay, attractive retirement options, and opportunities for vocational and other training."

Conscious of the far reaching effects that any draft legislation will have on the American College scene, they asked the postponement of a final decision on universal military training, arguing that it is only one element in the comprehensive program of national defense