Conant Denies Possibilities Of Atomic Bomb Defense

Russia May Develop Bomb in Five Years

"Let us be clear about one thing: there is no defense against a surprise attack with atomic bombs." With this statement as his text, President Conant Tuesday addressed a sermon to the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce.

"One thing has been as clear as daylight to me ever since I became convinced of the reality of the atomic bomb: namely, that a secret armament race in respect to this weapon must at all costs be avoided," Conant continued. "I am an enthusiastic supporter of the policy laid down in the first statement from the White House, and I hope the whole country will rally behind the administration in this matter."

Russia Needs Five Years

On the subject of the Russian knowledge on atomic matters, President Conant said, "It is my carefully considered opinion that Russia without our knowledge would not be able to produce bombs sufficient for a major blow at an enemy in less than five years, nor do I think it would require more than fifteen.

"Such estimates about the time required before another nation would be ready to use atomic bombs are not so important as at first sight they seem. year basis. They also insisted that the maximum period of service for the new draftees be fifteen months.

The signatories demanded as a second necessity "vigorous promotion of a new program of voluntary enlistment, stressing adequate pay, attractive retirement options, and opportunities for vocational and other training."

Conscious of the far reaching effects that any draft legislation will have on the American College scene, they asked the postponement of a final decision on universal military training, arguing that it is only one element in the comprehensive program of national defense