STUDENT POSITION MARKED BY WRIGHT

Dow, Kemble Tell Effects Of General Education Plan

"The success of the General Education experiment will be in the hands of the students," asserted Benjamin F. Wright, chairman of the Government Department and a member of the General Education Committee, Tuesday night in a forum designed to familiarize students with the effects the educational proposals will have on the curriculum.

There has been some confusion among students regarding several points in the proposal, all of which were re-emphasized and clarified during the forum. The General Education courses are to be introduced gradually and optionally during the next few years, and will have no effect on students already in the University. The Faculty is not proposing that all students take the same courses their first two years in college, nor will the system of concentration and distribution be essentially changed.

Pre-Med Studies Considered

The status of the Pre-med student has not yet been fully studied, said Edwin C. Kemble, professor of Physics, but should not present any serious problems, particularly in the case of the pre-med student who concentrates in some scientific field.

An objection to the way in which he thought the compulsory courses would be taught was raised by Sterling Dow '25, associate professor of History, who voted against the General Education Plan. His objection was based on the belief that the courses would be too general, and would not put enough emphasis on facts. "We need facts along with the big theoretical books," he asserted.